Frankfurt International Trophy® | Mountain Cheese OLD 12 months aged receives gold award | FIRST participation in the International Tasting Competition
The results of the 1st Frankfurt International Cheese and Dairy Products Trophy are public! And YES, our Rehmer 12 Month Mountain Cheese (similar to Swiss Cheese) was awarded GOLD!
Almost 400 tasting samples with 116 medals are the result. The tasting took place at the Südbahnhof in Frankfurt am Main.
On 9 December 2022, a total of 100 tasters evaluated almost 400 samples from 13 countries.
Background: Some time ago we received an email from the organiser Armonia Deutschland GmbH asking if we would be interested in participating with our products. Then we had a very nice exchange of information on the phone and started to study the online site. And we liked what we saw and read on the website.
Above all, the mission description of the Frankfurt International Trophy had convinced us (we had previously only known this from the World Championship Cheese Contest USA):
“Through targeted and active advertising measures, the competition is continuously raising its profile towards consumers. Internationally, the competitions enjoy a very good reputation and the trust of many tasters and producers.”
In our opinion, the presentations, explanations and preparation are very well and professionally done. The spatial setting is also very representative.
We think that the Trophy can work sustainably and give regional speciality producers great opportunities to bring their products closer to even more people.
Without giving it much thought, we therefore sent our Rehmer Alpine Cheese 12 months to the event for without giving ourselves any chances. It is much more important for us to see the feedback of professional testers in comparison.
Our Gold Diploma
Mountain cheese with 12 months
Alpine hard cheese
Artisan alpine cheese | hard cheese | extra spicy taste – 12 months matured | Bergkäse
Frankfurt International Trophy identity | an international tasting for cheese, wine, beer and spirits
Many tasters from all over the world (oenologists, sommeliers, restaurateurs, producers, winemakers and wine enthusiasts, cheese sommeliers as well as experienced cheese lovers) flock to the Trophy in Frankfurt every year to identify and award the best products.
The Frankfurt International Trophy is recognised by the Hessian Ministry for the Environment, Climate Protection, Agriculture and Consumer Protection. An award may only be stated in the labelling if it is an award recognised by the state government. List of awards recognised by the state governments.
Pictures of the event: Copyright Frankfurt International Trophy
In the meantime, the Frankfurt International Cheese & Dairy Products Trophy has become an international competition for cheese and dairy products alongside wine, beer and spirits.
In the middle of a European metropolis in the heart of Germany’s wine region, it is simply perfect that the best products in the world and Germany are awarded every year in Frankfurt.
Since 2017, wine, beer and spirits producers all over the world have been invited to have their products judged by a panel of experts at the annual tasting. The Frankfurt International Cheese & Dairy Products Trophy has added another dimension to the world of international competitions. Almost 300 categories for cheese and dairy products are on offer.
Cheeses made from cow’s, goat’s and sheep’s milk will be tasted, as well as butters, yoghurt, milk, creams and others. Traditional craftsmanship, organic products but also innovative creations in the world of cheese and dairy products are thus given a chance to rank among the best products.
The diversity of categories is important and makes it possible in the long term to offer consumers a very wide range of award-winning products and thus provide them with reliable guidance in their choice of cheese and dairy products.
Frankfurt International Trophy | Who are the tasters?
The quality and balance of the jury is very important. This gives the competition credibility and the producers’ trust in the organisation.
The jury is made up of international experts from the cheese industry and gastronomy as well as media representatives and experienced cheese lovers.
However, since the majority of subsequent buyers will not be professional cheese sommeliers, it is all the more important to include experienced amateurs with a different view of the product on the juries.
Each tasting team therefore includes both industry professionals and selected amateurs. In the first step, each registered participant is contacted by phone by the committee to verify their skills. If the taster can prove the skills, he/she is validated for the competition.
The product evaluation is done blindly in a grading grid that reaches up to 100 points. This ensures that every special feature of a product can be evaluated before it receives a final score. Each validated taster receives an excerpt from the grading grid in advance so that they can familiarise themselves with the system if necessary.
Qualities are determined in the areas of appearance, smell (quality and intensity), texture, taste (quality and intensity) and harmony – overall assessment. After the tasting, all participants receive a complete organoleptic analysis of their sample as well as a comparison with the other products of their jury.
Frankfurt International Trophy Award Classes | Results 2023
For the 1st edition of the Frankfurt International Trophy, almost 400 cheeses and dairy products from 13 countries were tasted together. On 9 December 2022, the organiser Armonia Deutschland GmbH invited 100 tasters to the Südbahnhof in Frankfurt.
A total of 116 cheeses and dairy products were awarded the coveted medals. Taking into account the 1/3 rule, 44 samples were awarded the Grand Gold medals (from 92 points), 49 samples were awarded Gold (from 85 points) and 23 samples were awarded Silver medals (from 80 points).
Among the tasters were numerous expert profiles such as the sommelier, but the juries also included experienced amateurs. They are representative of the consumer. This allows the tastes of consumers to be better taken into account in the selection, which is what makes the competition so unique.
Frankfurt International Trophy | Conditions of Participation
We love clear rules, anonymous neutrality and fair conditions of participation. We have listed an excerpt of the most important criteria/points for us below. You can find all details HERE
ARTICLE 1: DEFINITION AND OBJECTIVES
- The Frankfurt International Trophy is a competition (the Competition) for previously entered wines, beers, spirits and cheese and dairy products (Products) that can achieve a prize based on their quality.
- The competition is organised by Armonia Deutschland GmbH, Im Niedergarten 10, 55124 Mainz, Germany, (organiser) and will take place in Frankfurt am Main.
- The competition has the following objectives:
– To improve the knowledge of quality products
– To take into account the tastes of consumers by including experienced amateurs in its jury.
– To support consumers in the purchasing process with regard to the quality and taste of the products.
– To promote the awareness and international importance of the city of Frankfurt am Main in Germany and in the world.
ARTICLE 2: PRODUCTS ADMITTED TO COMPETITION
All cheeses and dairy products from all over the world are eligible to compete in the Cheese and Dairy Products Competition.
Cheese and dairy products are defined as products made wholly or partly from the milk of cows, goats, sheep, buffaloes or other animals. The final composition of the product must contain at least 50 % milk or milk products
ARTICLE 15: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ORGANISER
2. The organiser shall ensure that the preparatory work, the examination of the samples, the notification of the results and the evaluation by the jury members are carried out correctly and smoothly. In doing so, he shall pay particular attention to:
- The preservation of the anonymity of the samples presented to the jury members – The order of the samples to be presented.
- The evaluation of the results: distribution and collection of the tasting sheets, calculations, publication of the results.
- The secrecy of the results until the closing of the competition The jury members will be informed beforehand about the correct use of the tasting sheets.
ARTICLE 4: SUBMISSION OF SAMPLES – COMPETITION FOR CHEESE AND DAIRY PRODUCTS:
They must comply with all applicable health regulations and indicate the cheese dairy’s approval number or approval exemption. Participants must guarantee that the cheeses are safe to consume.
ARTICLE 22: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
1. The representation of the medal and the lettering “Frankfurt International Trophy” are protected by trademark and copyright and may only be used by prize winners of the competition and in accordance with the provisions of these regulations.
2. Any other use of the representation of the medal, the “Frankfurt International Trophy” lettering or other trademarks or copyrighted signs and works of the organiser – in particular any editing or redesign – is only permitted with the express prior consent of the organiser; consent must be given in writing or text form.
ARTICLE 20: CONFERRAL OF AWARDS
3. The following awards will be presented at the Frankfurt International Trophy:
– Grand Gold Medal – at least 92 points
– Gold Medal – at least 85 points
– Silver Medal – at least 80 points
Video of the Frankfurt International Trophy