Cheese packaging must have certain markings. The purpose of these markings is to protect the consumer from deception and to announce the supply of certain information about the product.
Protection of consumers
In cheese production, the “tricksters” have no chance. The general conditions are unstoppable, as defined in the Austrian food book “Käse-Codex” (cheese codex). The goal is a high level of consumer To protect the cheese wheel, it is put into salt bath or turned into dry salt. The salt removes water from the cheese and it dries faster. So the rind is formed. » More info and ensuring Detecting cheese defects and quality - on the cheese dough. Recognizing cheese defects requires some practice. » More info production. The legal basis for all manufacturers and the distribution of foodstuffs is the Food Safety and Consumer Protection Act (LMSVG).
Regulations in the “cheese codex”
- Composition and properties of cheese
- Requirements for the production
- Use of additives
- Rules for performing the quality inspection
- Cheese packaging must have certain markings. The purpose of these markings is to protect the consumer from deception and to announce the supply of certain information about the product. » More info regulations (according to LMKV)
LMKV = food labeling regulation
Specifically – The EU origin of origin protection
Local cheeses reflect a piece of the culture and identity of a region such as
- Vorarlberg The Vorarlberger Bergkäse (mountain cheese) is a regional cheese specialty from the Austrian province Vorarlberg. » More info cheese
- Vorarlberg Alpine cheese
- Tyrolean mountain cheese
- Tyrolean Alpine cheese
- Tyrolean gray cheese
- Gailtaler Alpine cheese
This Protection of origin or protection of origin are statutory regulations. » More info wants to be protected! The cheeses only deserve the geographical indication of origin in the name because they were produced in this region according to the rules of manufacture, composition and properties laid down there.
Back to the cheese encyclopedia