How you should store our cheese at home?
Ripened cheese likes it cool and moist. The best is a temperature of about 8-10 ° C at about 90% humidity. For the cheese bought in the piece, the Ripened cheese likes it cool and moist. The best is a temperature of about 8-10 ° C at about 90% humidity. (ideally the vegetable compartment) is recommended as a “cheese cellar”
Leave the cheese in the vacuum packaging and open it only for serving. This protects the cheese best and does not The dry matter refers to that portion of the cheese that remains after removal of the water contained. The more water is removed from the cheese, the lower its dry matter and vice versa. out.
The storage of larger pieces of cheese or whole cheeses
If you want to store large pieces of cheese or a whole cheese wheel for more than 2-3 weeks, we recommend using a damp dishcloth. Just take a clean tea towel, soak it in salted water (just add a little salt), squeeze it out and wrap the cheese in the damp cloth. This process is then repeated every 2-3 days.
Airy and humid in the cellar
If the cheese turns white or stains it is usually the salt or Casein is a constituent of the protein (protein) of cow's milk, which is obtained for cheese production. that crystallizes due to the temperature difference. These places are easy to rub off.
No bread contact – yeasts
Please do not store or cut cheese on wooden plates, boards, etc. where bread used to be. The yeast residues of the bread quickly make the cheese moldy.
Please note the following when The alpine cheese is best located in a cellar with high humidity.:
- Airtight sealed plastic containers, as well as plastic cheese bells are bad, since no “breathing” is possible.
- The simplest storage is in the coated wrapping paper.
- Too much cold and heat! Low temperatures prevent ripening, high temperatures accelerate Aerobic cheese ripening means cheese ripening with oxygen..
- Store cheese cool, but do not refrigerate. For optimal cheese flavor, simply take half an hour before serving.
- Not good, but you can freeze cheese. The Here in Austria, we call our fresh, natural milk for our cheese production hay milk (hay mild standard) - in Germany it is different. ripening process is interrupted and the cheese loses its flavor. Ice crystals change the structure of the cheese Detecting cheese defects and quality - on the cheese dough. Recognizing cheese defects requires some practice..
- Only from a temperature of 16 °C, the cheese can develop its aroma.
Back to the cheese encyclopedia