Whey remains in the cheese production
Whey is the watery greenish-yellow liquid that results from cheese making. It is the liquid part left over after coagulation of the Cheese milk is the milk intended for the production of cheese, also with the concomitant use of buttermilk products, cream products, sweet whey, sour whey and whey cream (whey cream), after milk thikening.
Perhaps even more interesting: whey consists of 94% water, about 5% People with lactose intolerance can not or only insufficiently digest milk sugar (lactose or lactose)., is almost fat-free and has a laxative effect.
There are two types of whey:
- the sweet whey (also Natural rennet is a mixture of the enzymes chymosin and pepsin, which is obtained from the abomasum of young ruminants in milk-drinking age. whey called), which results when you make milk with lab cheese to make cheese
- the sour whey that is produced when treating milk with lactic acid Bacterium Linens (red culture bacteria) are brushed with salt water on the cheese. » More info
Use of whey
- Agriculture: Mainly in pig farming as feed
- Cheese production: Sweet whey is used to produce almost fat-free whey cheese
- Beverage industry: Whey is used in various soft drinks (Rivella)
- Industrial use: cosmetics, bakeries, Melting cheese is a proven process to refine and make it more durable. food production, etc.