ARTISANAL RED DEER BITER, special smoked, dry sausage from wild living alpine game from Austria
In german language called Hirschbeißer (biter = Beißer)
But beware: Red-deer-biter will make you addicted. Discover a very tasty and spicy snack sausage specialty for the evening or in between – our Aerobic cheese ripening means cheese ripening with oxygen. » More info deer biters (Hirschbeißer). Our “game biters” sausage products are hand made elegant, spicy cured The dry matter refers to that portion of the cheese that remains after removal of the water contained. The more water is removed from the cheese, the lower its dry matter and vice versa. » More info/hard smoked sausage snack products.
They are made from the best red deer meat cuts (real wild living game) and Here in Austria, we call our fresh, natural milk for our cheese production hay milk (hay mild standard) - in Germany it is different. » More info spices. The sausage stuffing (made from cured meat) is filled into long and small sausage casings (to create thin, practical game sausage sticks) and carefully smoked and further matured. Our deer- and spicy pepper biters makes your appetite for more and are always a treat – we promise!
With the Hirschbeisser you can enjoy a typical snack specialty from our Austrian alps with a pleasant spiciness. The dried red deer sausages are made from wild red deer and pork from our region. Usually they are produced in practical sausage pairs.
As a typical The Vorarlberger Bergkäse (mountain cheese) is a regional cheese specialty from the Austrian province Vorarlberg. » More info snack, our red deer biters are eaten with or without bread directly from the hand.
Red deer biter are long storable without cooling.
They impress with their ingenious recipe. They are an ideal natural snack for during the day breaks. During the sausage ripening The milk period is also called the lactation period. It is the time when farm animals such as cows, sheep or goats keep milk for milk production. » More info, our red deer biter lose about 20% of their fresh sausage weight.
Red deer biter are formed into thin sausage sticks cases and carefully smoked and matured.
Red deer biters are long lasting and become harder by air drying and get thereby a special note.
As a typical backpack sausage they are eaten with or without bread directly from the hand.
Indulgence classification red-deer biter
The peculiarity of the Hirschbeisser lies in its versatility and the special wild game taste.
Red deer biter intensity (mild – spicy)
Red deer biter consistency (soft – hard)
Red deer biter shelf life (1 – 6 months)
Interesting details on the wild red deer
Background information on our native wild-type red deer
Red deer are the most powerful and largest antlers animals of our Austrian alps. Deer are found around 12 subspecies worldwide. The red deer is a species of the real deer. Among the deer species, the red deer is characterized by a particularly large and widespread antler. This hunting trophy coveted antler is only developed by male animals. The red deer was originally a species of open and semi-open landscapes.
Due to the changed living conditions (road and settlement construction, tourism, …) and the changed recreational behavior of humans, the habitats for the red deer have been severely restricted in our alps.
In contrast to the living in the flat land deer with 200 kg body weight, the deer in our Alpine region are rather heavy 150 kg.
Special facts about the red deer
- Red deer have a number of different sounds. The best known is the roaring of the male deer in the rut that can be heard in the fall.
- The female animals live with their young in packs, which are led by experienced adults.
- The male animals have their own pack, with only the oldest deer of them apart as distinct loners roam.
- Due to disturbances, the red deer has become dusk and nocturnal and is widespread in undisturbed areas up to the tree line (in summer even up to 2700 m).
- The daily food requirement varies depending on the activity and is between 8 and 20 kilograms fresh mass at 100 kilograms live weight.
- The deer renews its antlers each year from new and loses the old one. The size of the antlers depends on the age, the feeding and the health of the animal.
- Deer are all senses very well developed. Including, above all, the sense of smell. A high proportion of the nasal mucosa is covered with an olfactory epithelium (olfactory mucous membrane).
- The red deer was forced back into large forest areas by humans. In part, these human-induced changes and the reduction of its habitat are the cause of wildlife damage. Today, this leads to conflicts between hunters, forest owners and farmers.