ARTISAN SPECIAL The dry matter refers to that portion of the cheese that remains after removal of the water contained. The more water is removed from the cheese, the lower its dry matter and vice versa. » More info SAUSAGE FROM RED DEER | QUADRANGULAR DRY SMOKED SAUSAGE
In German language called “Hirschlandjäger”
The typical quadrangular sausage gets its taste through the traditional, sophisticated recipe. The smoked sausage is an ideal wild-nature food for the picnic and snack during the day!
They are made from best meat cuts from Aerobic cheese ripening means cheese ripening with oxygen. » More info deer and pork from the Austrian region. The spicy sausages are usually produced in pairs and have always been popular with young and old. As a typical backpack sausage, Hirschlandjäger are eaten directly with or without bread from the hand.
Our Hirschlandjäger are made by our experienced master sausage maker from high Detecting cheese defects and quality - on the cheese dough. Recognizing cheese defects requires some practice. » More info deer and pork meat, as well as selected spices and then brought into the practical, quadrangular sausage shape. This creates the exciting, tasty and spicy game sausage flavor composition for every day.
During the ripening season, our Hirschlandjäger lose about 10% of their fresh weight.
Quadrangular pressed in Here in Austria, we call our fresh, natural milk for our cheese production hay milk (hay mild standard) - in Germany it is different. » More info gut Landjäger are a specialty from Southern Germany, Since 2004, ARGE Heumilch Österreich has been bringing together around 8,000 hay-milk farmers and more than 60 dairies. » More info and Switzerland.
Sometimes they are also called whip sticks, Bauraseufzer (farmer’s sigh) or Unteruhlbacher (after Stuttgart-Uhlbach). In Alsace, Landjäger are called “gendarmes”.
As a typical backpack sausage, landhunters with or without bread are eaten directly from the hand. In addition, a grilled landhunter on the campfire tastes wonderful.
Indulgence classification Landhunter – Landjäger
The peculiarity of the Landjäger is in its versatility.
Landhunter intensity (mild – spicy)
Landhunter consistency (soft – hard)
Landhunter shelf life (1 – 6 months)
Interesting details on the wild red deer
Background information on our native wild-type red deer
Red deer are the most powerful and largest antlers of our Alps. Deer are found around 12 subspecies worldwide. The red deer is a species of the real deer. Among the deer species, the red deer is characterized by a particularly large and widespread antler.
This hunting trophy coveted antler is only developed by male animals. The red deer was originally a species of open and semi-open landscapes.
Due to the changed living conditions (road and settlement construction, tourism, …) and the changed recreational behavior of humans, the habitats for the red deer have been severely restricted in our Alps.
In contrast to the living in the flat land deer with 200 kg body weight, the deer in our The Vorarlberger Bergkäse (mountain cheese) is a regional cheese specialty from the Austrian province Vorarlberg. » More info region are rather heavy 150 kg.
Special facts about the red deer
- Red deer have a number of different sounds. The best known is the roaring of the male deer in the rut that can be heard in the fall.
- The female animals live with their young in packs, which are led by experienced adults.
- The male animals have their own pack, with only the oldest deer of them apart as distinct loners roam.
- Due to disturbances, the red deer has become dusk and nocturnal and is widespread in undisturbed areas up to the tree line (in summer even up to 2700 m).
- The daily food requirement varies depending on the activity and is between 8 and 20 kilograms fresh mass at 100 kilograms live weight.
- The deer renews its antlers each year from new and loses the old one. The size of the antlers depends on the age, the feeding and the health of the animal.
- Deer are all senses very well developed. Including, above all, the sense of smell. A high proportion of the nasal mucosa is covered with an olfactory epithelium (olfactory mucous membrane).
- The red deer was forced back into large forest areas by humans. In part, these human-induced changes and the reduction of its habitat are the cause of wildlife damage. Today, this leads to conflicts between hunters, forest owners and farmers.